Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hello McFly!


As of late I have been wondering where exactly I fall on a scale of 1 - 10 of nerdiness. This has been even harder because I'm not sure how to fix the scale. What is the lowest degree of nerd? I'm thinking Apple snob, blogger, and occasional sci-fi peruser. Those seem to be staples, but is it too much? I don't know. 10 is a little easier; that is going to consist of knowing Klingon, making j factorial jokes, listing Dungeons and Dragons as a hobby, listing "the force" as a skill, and writing notes in binary code.

I suppose most of us nerds fall somewhere in between. But I am having a real identity crisis and I NEED to know where I stand. The facts are these:

- I blog. In case you weren't aware.
- I sometimes watch Nacho Libre when I am alone.
- I have made multiple trips to the library lately with the sole purpose of getting more books on Stephen Hawking for Idiots and Quantum Mechanics 101.
- I sometimes muse about what it would be like to be an Elf in Lord of the Rings.
- I love comic book movies.
- I really do think that Disneyland is the happiest place on earth.
- I'm a snob when I go to Disneyland. I find myself saying things like, "Oh this ice cream stand wasn't here last time," or "They TOTALLY changed the womanizing pirates into thief pirates on POTC ride!" (Which, by the way, they DID. And it's not nearly as funny or creepy).
- I love Lost. Mostly because of all the crazy-a sci-fi junk on that show.
- I read Lost theory sites because more than anything in life I love theorizing about things.
- I have a string theory seminar video bookmarked on my APPLE NOTEBOOK (note: I own a mac, but not necessarily a snob).
- I plan on celebrating national PI day on the 14th.
- Speaking of Pi, I also have Daniel "I memorized Pi" Tammat videos in my favorites on YouTube, which I watch on a regular basis.
- I have a crush on Chuck from Chuck. Mostly for his nerdiness. But also for his tallness.
- I wish I could do math so I could be a math/physics nerd.

HOWEVER. The following keeps me from true nerdom:
- I don't speak/write ANY other languages, though there was once a boy in one of my classes that would always write his name in Elvish on the roll sheet, and then give Elvish greeting to the professor. And he looked suspiciously like the Numa Numa dude. CREEPY.
- I don't understand binary code.
- I haven't started watching Battlestar Galactica. YET.
- I really love shooting guns.
- I can't quote anything from Star Wars or X Files.
- I can never remember how many gigabytes are in a terabyte. Or how to spell those.
- I can name at least 5 major designer labels.
- I sound like a ditz when I talk.

So maybe you, as a removed party, can help me this. BECAUSE IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT. What's an appropriate nerd scale, and where do I (and you) stand?


UPDATE!
Thanks to Azucar, I took the Nerd Quiz and realized that in fact I am "not a nerd, but definitely not hip." And I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. Although, it is rather fitting since I am mediocre in all ways, and therefore being a true nerd would be unfitting with my station in life.

8 comments:

rich said...

Tara,

I totally read up on lost theories as well. The show is so awesome! I can't wait to see how they answer all the questions.

Laquina said...

Well all I know is that I'm a total wanna be. I wish I could graduate to at least poser status but it cannot be done. My brain just can't retain all the information necessary to be considered a nerd....and I wash my hair every other day.

You on the other hand could be a nerd attache. You aren't a nerd, but you can hang with them and advise them on matters of the world. You know enough yet hardly anything.

Good? Good.

Mike Lau said...

See this is something I have been wondering about myself. I'm seeing too many people lately claiming to be a nerd when in all reality they're not. What I came up with is this: if the so called activity is considered nerdy by the majority of people it is. For instance when you say you like lost I don't think that's nerdy because almost all of America likes lost. If you told me you stayed home last Friday to watch battlestar galactica then I'd consider it nerdy. Your quantum physics thing would be nerdy. Reading harry potter doesn't make you nerdy. Now if the net difference between your non nerdy qualities and nerdy qualities is positive your not a nerd at all. If it's slightly negative you're low on the scale if it's largely negative your towards the top. I'd write more but I'm doing it on my iPhone so it's hard to type.

Carina said...

I love Battlestar Galactica SO MUCH and I don't care if that makes me a nerd; it's an awesome show.

If you take this Nerd quiz, you'll know for sure.

My nerd score is 93.

Marge Bjork said...

Did you note that I (1)have a larger vocabulary than the text predictor on my phone and that sometimes when I (2)look up a word in the dictionary I (3) read some of the other words on the page even though I know I'll never use them.

But I consider myself a poser because I'm actually not that useful. I feel a good nerd should be useful.

You, however, are useful (hel-LO 401K and being laid-off? So active-participant-in-our-struggling-economy of you), but I wouldn't have said a nerd until you admitted to fantasizing about being an elf circa "LOTR"

tara said...

Ah, friends. Such wonderful, and painfully true, comments.

But Mike, this is really something up your ally. Because in reality you SHOULD be a nerd, and yet somehow you are not. How do you do that? You are some kind of anomaly.

i i eee said...

All you gotta do is cross over to the BSG, baby. Do it.




DO IT.

Speaking of nerdy but not nerdy, but socially nerdy, are you on FB? Because I think we should be FB friends. Then I can stalk you properly.

i i eee said...

I'm so creepy. I found you and begged you to add me on FB.