Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I realize that when I met you at the turkey curry buffet, I was unforgivably rude, and wearing a reindeer jumper.


I've never considered myself a real shy person. That was decided when, as a young teen, I "bop bopped" some dude's rear multiple times, on the sly, at stake dances.

I like to think I have matured since then.

Still, I have this Bridget Jones-esque way of making myself look like an idiot in front of any moderately attractive male. And there is one such male in existence whom I see every night at the gym. We have had our moments, he and I. If you know what I mean. And by that I mean, we would walk past each other on many occasions that didn't require walking past each other.

So I decided it was time to take the next step. As I was sitting on a leg machine, waiting to begin my next rep, he comes sauntering by. "Carpe Diem!" I cheered to myself. I looked at him straight in the face, and flashed by biggest Hello smile. (I bet you were expecting that I was going to jump atop him, weren't you? WRONG.)

Then, quite naturally, he smiled back. A kind of 10-year-old-grin that almost made me snort-laugh.

And then I called it a night and went back home, feeling quite pleased with my progress.

Who KNOWS what kind of shenanigans tonight will bring.

5 comments:

Rachie said...

Ah, young love. How exciting!

After months of inactivity, I finally sucked it up and went to church last Sunday. My efforts were rewarded with the presence of a cute single guy I never noticed there before. And he came to sit by my cousin and me in gospel doctrine, even though there were tons of seats available. Am I going back next week? You betcha.

i i eee said...

I'll be hoping for some crazy shenanigans.

Laquina said...

Oh my. You sound like a young me taking baby steps towards truly leaving your shame at home. It is a great feeling, isn't it? Just remember you are on a slippery slope. I just hope you don't wake up one day wanting to recreate the role of Mrs. Robinson in the Graduate. Wait...who am I kidding? Do more and do it faster. I had my best times acting like Bridget. And remember you have great legs, climbers legs.

Marge Bjork said...

three cheers for shenanigans!

Corn Dog the Bounty Hunter said...

come back! .... (tools galore at golds! :)