Wednesday, December 31, 2008

WHAT UP 2008 !



Every year sometime in January my family would gather in the living room and discuss what our goals for the new year were going to be. We each wrote them down and were supposed to keep them in our room or taped on the microwave or wherever we would see them, although they usually ended up as paper airplanes whizzing towards Sam's face whilst he was telling some long detailed story we lost interest in 30 seconds into it.

I want to declare that I am rejecting the traditions of my youth! I am NOT going to do that kind of list anymore. Last year I had two resolutions: learning how to french braid, and becoming more compassionate. Go ahead and guess which one of those I accomplished. So I've decided to be really really original and use my blog as a wrap up of 2008. Are you rolling your eyes right now? Well it's my blog, so I can.

FAVORITE MOVIE: I'm sad to say that nothing really blew me away this year. But in terms of entertainment, I'm going to have to go with Iron Man on this one. I'm sorry, but HELLO Tony Stark. Don't you think he would be perfect for me? I also thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Knight, but it was too, how shall I say . . . dark. I didn't laugh much, so it's demoted. Methinks I have a superhero thing. Or maybe just a thing for mysterious, big-biceped, brilliant rich men. Maybe I ought to do some self-analysis on that. But I won't.

My guess for the Oscar in Best Picture will be The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, with Slumdog Millionaire and Frost Nixon competing.

runners-up:
Bottle Shock, Mamma Mia!, The Incredible Hulk, Penelope.

guilty pleasures: The Pineapple Express, Get Smart, Run Fat Boy Run, In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (lying).




Favorite TV Show: This is hard, because I really like a lot of them. This year it's a tie between Mad Men and Lost. I actually don't really like sitting down and watching Mad Men, because I get offended when every 5 minutes one of the men is making some snide, sexually demoralizing remark to a woman. I thought I would never say it, but THANK YOU feminist movement. However, the show truly is engrossing. And I have a really huge embarrassing love for Lost. Deal with it.

runners-up: Fringe, 30 Rock, Pushing Daisies, Chuck, The Office, Extras, Law and Order: SVU, Kath & Kim.


guilty pleasures: Gossip Girl, The Hills, The City (so far), The Real Housewives of Orange County.

worst: Heroes. It's gone way downhill since the writers strike.




Favorite TV Couples: Chuck and Blair, Gossip Girl. Jack and Kate, Lost (or I would be willing to root for Sawyer and Kate. Heaven knows I love me a good love triangle).

runners-up: Chuck and Sarah, Chuck (fake though it may be), Ned and Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Jim and Pam, The Office.

Is anyone else noticing the amount of Chucks on tv? Weird.


worst: Spencer and Heidi, The Hills.



Favorite People who died in 2008: Gordon B. Hinckley, William F. Buckley, Charlton Heston, Paul Newman, Estelle Getty, Heath Ledger.

Favorite Book:
Fiction: Ireland by Frank Delaney. It combines three of my most favorite things - history, storytelling, and Ireland. Plus, the writing is admirable without being too wordsy. And the story, and stories within the story, is really compelling.


runners-up: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Non-fiction: The Devil in the Kitchen by Marco Pierre White.

runners-up: Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong by Jean-Benoit Nadeau, Sharon Osbourne Extreme by Sharon Osbourne, Little Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia.

worst: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin.


Best Accomplishment: Declaring decisive victory over D.Y. in arm wrestling.

runners-up: Graduating from BYU, finding 2 Calvin Klein dresses on the clearance rack at Marshall's for $15, coming in third place in the Biggest Loser competition at work, finding Gossip Girl Season 1 on sale at Target for $17.99.

worst: Attempting to flirt with Mr. Harvard-grad-aerospace-engineer at a regional conference.
He seemed freaked out by me. Whatever man, your loss.


Family Accomplishment: Finally taking a picture where every one's eyes are open.




2009 Resolutions: Finish my autobiography, get a job abroad, do 600 push-ups a day, and stealthily sabotage my neighbors so that they will finally move.

Happy New Year!




7 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

my resolution: more kissing

also, i predict your autobiography will be the best book of 2009

The Smith Family said...

Awesome, simply awesome you are. I need to be more like you. And I must say, I think your family picture is SUCH an amazing capture of your beauty. Again, you're amazing! Happy New Year!

i i eee said...

You're even hotter than I imagined. Which didn't seem possible.

I agree on the Mad Men, and the Chuck and Blair best couple award.

I resolve to sleep more.

Amanda said...

Love the picture... :) You look hot in it no matter how painful it may have been getting it.

Amber Marie said...

Awesome list. I'll be using your book recommendations this year. As for your family picture, that was one of the draws to come home from my mom. She said I had to see your great family picture...she was right, you all look so fabulous! Especially you darling, stunning really.

Rachie said...

As I recall, Iron Man just kind of came out of nowhere. I went into it with super low expectations (seeing as I had no idea what to expect--I don't even remember seeing previews for it) and was totally blown away. And Mad Men is just... I don't know. but it's one of my favorites.

I second i i eee--how can you be so awesomely smart and sarcastic AND beautiful? It hardly seems fair...

Laquina said...

Great resolutions and I too hate the gym warriors come New years. Don't you want to yell out "where were you a week ago? HUH?!". Me too.

As usual I have a doosie of a resolution this year but you don't get to hear it just yet.

And you know what your family picture reminds me of? The opening credits for "Keeping up with the Kardashians" when they are all posing for the family picture and Kim finally comes in her red dress and stands right in the middle. You have that same expression on your face that she did. Like let's drop these be-otch's and take some REAL photos. And if I was invited I would be the Chloe in the back saying..."the wind guys? Is this really necessary?".