Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Volure. I thought by now you'd be somewhere the law couldn't reach you. Like Bali...or Utah."


On Monday night I made an extraordinary discovery: I found the Celestial Kingdom of Retirement Centers. I know, it sounds like an oxy moron doesn't it? Well it's NOT. I was so overcome with awe that I didn't even have time to remember how much old people freak me out. Think Sweet Dee in "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" where she finds Charlie's Nazi grandpa but almost passes out from hyperventilating too much because the old people are getting to close to her and you will understand. In fact, the only reason I went to Deterioration Central in the first place was because I was guilted into it, what with the whole family and the ward going to sing carols and spread Christmas cheer and what have you.


This place, and I have no clue what it's called, is HUGE. With pale yellow and sage green walls, fake flowers that aren't chinsy, crown molding, a dining area that looks like a restaurant that I would go to on a date, lovely watercolor paintings on the walls, and truly classy Christmas decorations. And most important of all, it DIDN'T SMELL. How is that even possible? I don't know, it was celestialized probably.


So I now have a plan of what I am going to do with my parents in a few years. I figure that since their eyesight is going and they have to wear reading glasses, they are but a few maladies short of "ashes to ashes and dust to dust" and I'm going to need someplace to put them. I mean, it's better than Shady Pines.

8 comments:

i i eee said...

where did that title come from? It's hilarious.

Laquina said...

No need to worry about Shady pines. It burned down years ago after a hot plate was left on.

my comments are so lame now

Amber Marie said...

that was hilarious. I am still laughing. thanks.

p.s. I always thought how I would actually like living at one of those places if they didn't smell...so I guess there is a place for me.

trine k said...

you are so awful, and yet I find a fiendish delight in your bluntness and sarcasm. Even though I don't always comment because I feel inferior to your wit, I find myself shaking my head and laughing, out loud mind you, at every post. I'm sure your mom is gonna love this post. I'm still chuckling about it...

O'Reilly #5 said...

i just peed a little thinking about Sweet Dee in that episode. (bathroom sceen.....she looks in the mirror......."AAAAHHHHHH!!!"

tara said...

ii eee,

The title is from 30 Rock, the one with Steve Martin as Gavin Volure. You MUST watch it if you have not. There are some brilliant one-liners.

i i eee said...

ACk! I was behind on my 30 Rock, and just now saw that episode. Never go with a hippie to a second location.

Ashley said...

I loved that place also, I know where I want my kids to put me when I'm old. That place looked better than my house, lol.