Tuesday, December 2, 2008

calm the heck down


Some days I find I have a lower than usual tolerance for annoying things, and lucky for you today just happens to be one of those days. In honor of that, let me vent something important...


Next to my computer screen on my desk at work I have a small Eats, Shoots & Leaves daily calendar. It was given to me by one of the attorneys for one, or all, of the following reasons: a) he obviously sees me as an uneducated bumpkin who could use a few lessons in grammar, b) he is trying to prove something from the few times I scratched out all of HIS grammatical mistakes when editing his letters, or c) because he secretly has a crush on me. Who am I kidding - it's probably c.


Today's subject is on the decline of punctuation standards, blamed on emails and text messages and the lazy people who write "R U going out 2nite" instead of actually spelling it out and using a question mark. (DISCLAIMER: If ever I receive this kind of text from a potential crush, they are immediately dismissed. Ye be warned.) I mean, really. Is it THAT hard to write properly? I think not. Are you really so busy and important that you can't spare an extra eight seconds to type correctly? You know, it just brings to mind my white trash neighbor, Joe Dirt, who probably doesn't know how to spell "sk8" any differently. And I really don't like musing about my neighbor Joe Dirt. I saw him for the first time in months yesterday, spinning around his front lawn like some 5 year old trying to make himself throw up. I wasn't sure if it was because he was high (very likely), or if it's the effects of living in a hell hole that display themselves in odd ways (equally likely). Oh the stories I could tell about my neighbors . . . Maybe someday.


Anyway. This brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves ever: overuse of the exclamation mark. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the enthusiasm. Actually it's that I don't WANT to buy it. It's like Kim Kardashian's blog, where everything is reminiscent of "OMG i totally wore my newest red stilettos to britney's party and they were so hot!!! and i loved my outfit!! I just seriously think that life is soooo great!!! I mean, next week i get to paaarty in miami and i love it there!!!!"


ENOUGH KIM! Enough. Please, in the name of all that is holy will you just STOP? No one wants your bangs or your thick black makeup or your life, so stop shoving it down our throats with your incessant exclamations. I can't even get through posts where they use only one exclamation point at the end of every sentence. Please tell me that other people find this equally mind-numbing. Unless you are one of the few I've offended, in which case, please heed my frustrations and learn.

7 comments:

i i eee said...

OMG, I understand your pain!!1! Totes!!1!

I can't resist.

When I find long lost friends from my fairytale childhood on Facebook, I'm always utterly disgusted by their abuse of the exclamation point. Every sentence they write has to be molested by it.

I will say though I am very guilty of sending texts with abbreviated words. I think the habit originated when I was in a text war with my ex-boyfriend. It was rapid text arguing. You know, because the world would explode if we actually just called one another, and talked on the phone.

Amber Marie said...

I agree with you.

And I do have a huge zebra rug in my house. is it too much? I think my mom and grandma malan would think so...but I like to think great-grandma malan would think I am super chic :)

Amber Marie said...

Oh and I had a dream last night and you were there. Our families were on vacation and you pulled out your real-fur shawl and we were admiring it. That is about all I remember.

Marge Bjork said...

someone pointed out the other day that I always say, "see you," and never, "see ya."

Laquina said...

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Elaine debates the use of the exclamation point in "Top of the muffin to you!". Great, great episode. She also hates the flagrant misuse of that punctuation and since I am basically her I hate it too by proxy.

Miriam Herm said...

I am laughing very hard at this instead of calling you back. forgive me.

Amanda said...

I like that you read Kim Kardashian's blog and are disgusted instead of not reading it at all... Some food for thought. :) I have the exclamation point problem, but with smileys when I leave comments on blogs :)