Friday, January 9, 2009

I hate New Years Warriors


Unlike some of my previous roommates, I have never been a real gym zealot. Call me lazy, but the thought of running was about as pleasant as the thought of having the stomach flu. Plus, Gold's Gym on 9th was the Meat Market of Provo. Whenever I went I was flanked by tools in pooka shells and far too much cologne on one side, and bimbos with full hair and makeup done on the other side. Not really my scene.

Now I have had something of a change of heart. A combination of growing obsessiveness in life combined with heavy amounts of boredom have come together to create this phenomena of maniacal health-club attendance. I should also come clean and confess that I sort of stalk this dude who goes at the same time. Not like it's pertinent. Whatever. ANYWAY - I go kind of late so I recognize the other 6 people there. That is, until now. Now that the New Years Warriors are on the loose. And I know that come March they'll be gone, but I'm really annoyed. Who do they think they are, swarming my sanctum of adrenaline and anger management? Unacceptable. And without a solution. Oh Israel/Palestine - I know how it feels to have no solutions!

And to compound grievances, I found a dress in my closet that I got a few months back on a clearance rack at a local boutique. It's a good casual party dress, but I must have had a temporary logic shut-down when I bought it because it is really short. Self, I said, you can just wear black leggings with it, since the dress is pink and black and the combination of fabric and style would work. But I realized the other day when I was looking at it that I don't like leggings. I only own a pair because I wore them to a party once, and the theme of the party called for something a little out of the ordinary. I know that LiLo and other celeb rehab connoisseurs really get into them. But I just have never warmed to them. And a girl who used to be from my home town wrote a much-needed post on What Not to Wear to Church, and I was reminded how deep my dislike of leggings runs.
Well do I remember Blair Waldorf's astute observation: TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS.

So now I am in a conundrum. How do I wear my short dress without being a skank? Opaque tights - also out of the question. Any ideas for my plethora of problems would be appreciated.

Also, I apologize if I have rained on your Resolutions to work out more. I applaud you, if you can stay with it past Wednesday, so long as it's not at my gym.

6 comments:

Rachie said...

Back when I worked out seriously (I'm basically the Stay Puft marshmallow man now), I'd get super annoyed by the new-year resolutionists (it's a word...) too. Just stick it out a few more weeks and they'll all be gone. Until then, just give them the stink eye. (I'm so glad I gave up on gym memberships and just bought my own treadmill--it's all I used at the gym anyway.)

As for the short dress, I've got nothin'. But I applaud your modesty. Seriously.

Lindsey said...

Take it to my mom...she is a miracle worker. :)

Amber Marie said...

I agree- give'em stink eye. I was going to suggest the opaque tights...what about with tall boots and the tights?

mmm you've seen my fashion sense- I am so not one to give out advice!

Amber Marie said...

oh and they would have to be low-heel to flat boots- otherwise you will look like a skank...which could be a great new years resolution...

Marge Bjork said...

looking like a skank was my new years resolution and it's worked great for me!

just kidding.

Whits said...

I totally have that same conundrum. I bought this adorable 60s shift type dress but its mid-thigh. I suggest skinny jeans. I almost did the opaque tight thing to church but I totally couldn't do it. I felt guilty. The dress though showed upon gossip girl a couple months later and I laughed.