Monday, June 30, 2008

Going America all over your aces


Speaking of 4th of July, is anyone else tickled pink that this holiday is right around the corner? I know I am! In fact, I have begun celebrating already. This morning I sang the national anthem before I got out of bed. And then I saluted the ginormous flag that is waving outside of the office. Boy am I patriotic or what. My brothers and I have been debating on the best way to celebrate the 4th since my parents have wisely decided to go out of the town, and, more importantly, they are taking the babies with them. Is anyone throwing a wildly awesome party that you want to invite me to? I am also willing to participate in a tasteful reenactment of the American Revolution. But only if you have a gun I can shoot or boxes of tea I can throw off a boat.


About this time a few years ago I was living in London and I happened to run into an American-loving Brit on the tube. "It's a shame that I met you today and not yesterday," he told me. I asked him why that was, and he said "I have some Yank friends and every year I throw a 4th of July party at my manor." Manor. Who actually lives on a manor? He does, apparantly. And I was sad to have missed that awesome firework display given by a Brit to celebrate a war that they lost.


Speaking of fireworks, does anyone not like them? Because if you don't, I think that you are either 1.) Blind, or 2). Dead inside. So besides watching lights blow up in the sky and being in a Revolution reenactment, my last goal is to get some action this weekend. Don't judge me! Trust me you guys, it has been too long. And what better time to get action than on the celebration of the greatest nation EVER?! I knew you would see it my way. So when you call me to invite me to your awesome party, be warned that I'm bringing my A-game with me.




6 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

how sad for me: i'm dead inside.

clarification: i don't dislike fireworks, they just don't really get me all excited. in fact, after awhile, they're boring. but i do like the twinkly ones.

O'Reilly #5 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tara said...

Lanni oh Lanni - what a passionate person you are on subjects like this. One of the many reasons I love you. However, i feel it important to say that fireworks are not uniquely American. They are actually very Chinese - a tradition dating back hundreds and hundreds of years which we adopted (thank goodness).

Also, bird may not love them, which is unsurprising to me because there are many things which she's not a fan of. Like decorating for holidays and playing games. But she does love this country.

I for one am not a huge apple pie lover. I like it fine, but i would rather spend those calories elsewhere. And apple pie is pretty American.

There are those who find certain American traditions silly or none too interesting (for me, it's Nascar). That does not mean they don't love American culture.

When i was younger I had similar sentiments. But as you grow up you calm down. Calm patriotism is patriotism too.

O'Reilly #5 said...

I quess I see what you mean. I never really liked WWF. I fear that my youth and free spirit have blindfolded the eyes of my logic. I hope to one day be at your standard Tara! Maybe then my posts wont be deleted! ha! but lets be serious for 2 seconds.....If I told you that I thought the 4th of July was boring im pretty sure you would have a tap dance on my face. ps-Ive finally found the perfect name for my blog, check it out

Amber Marie said...

tara, you are so funny and clever.

I was hoping for fireworks at my wedding but didn't get them.

As for parties, I was thinking of asking Nathan to throw one so I can come- is it bad to hang out with singles if your husband is multiple states away? hmmm.

4th of July is by far my favorite holiday, by far.

Hooray for the greatest country in the entire universe!!! :)

Laquina said...

Yeah, fireworks are great - especially from the 19th floor of my hotel. And I like the combo of red, white and blue. I like the celebrations this country has to offer and being able to supersize my fries, but until we get some awesome festival where we joust or throw tomatoes at each other or water fights in all the streets I don't feel we can really be 100%. But I've always been an 80% kinda girl in life.