Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Parting is such sweet sorrow


Today is my last official day in Provo. Am I happy or sad or freaked out? You decide, because I sure can't. I have been itching to leave for months, and now that the time has arrived I want to throw myself on the floor, kick my feet and pound my fists while someone forcibly drags me away. How did this happen? Why did I graduate? I'm not ready yet!

So, in an Ode to the great few years BYU gave me, here are some of the things I will miss the most:

1. Hang outs with the gang. This includes the spectrum from late nights of stephen, emma and jeff throwing around French phrases while rich and lisha banter about something, Mike's records and "jamming", porch sitting, Redbox and papusas.

2. Living with the cousins. Always an adventure.

2. Dr. Murdock's lectures and interesting China tidbits. If only he were 20 years younger and single...

3. The dollar theater. Which is now no longer a dollar. I almost feel ripped off when I go, until I remember that I can see a movie in a theater for $1.25.

4. Cafe Rio. Cliche? Whatever!

5. The job that takes me 2.5 minutes to walk to. And a boss who lets me take as much vacation time as I want. And gives me lollipops.

6. BYU campus, because it's chalk-full of interesting things. Like human specimens to observe, a free International Cinema, a great library and - who can forget - the Medieval club! Which I should have joined.

7. Our parties. Which were off. the. hook.

8. The really high wages. NOT.

9. Multiple guys riding on one scooter.

10. Not getting a calling until the last month of the semester.

And this is just the tip of the ice berg. Provo holds something for everyone - even the 32 year olds who still go to sophomore parties and live in Slate Canyon together. No wonder Brigham Young said "Go to Provo or go to Hell." Well stated Brigham.

Time for the next adventure, or so say my "peers" anyway! Thanks Mike for leading the way. And for Wood#1 and Wood #2 for leaving this summer also, so I don't feel left out. L, I hope you move to L.A.

So long P-town! It's been real.

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

I shed A-tear. good luck adjusting to non-provo life. It is a shocker.

love you lots, hope to see you in a month (?)

rich said...

Tara, I don't want to leave also. Responsibility... (right now I am melting in my chair with a big sigh)