Monday, July 7, 2008

Hoist the Colors High


While I was watching the miniseries John Adams this weekend, I got to thinking about freedom. And I wondered whether there are those who love freedom more than others. Self, I asked, where do you fall on that scale? And you know what I answered - I love it more than everyone!


But wait! You may scoff and feign offence at this idea. So let me explain why I love freedom more than you:


1. I have watched Band of Brothers like 15 times.


2. I wrote my capstone thesis on freedom and Stephen Ambrose was my only source. Well, almost.


3. I dream about America/courage/military men/freedom EVERY NIGHT.


4. I made plans with friends and then broke those plans just because I was free to do it.


5. This is the most important one: I laughed at all the grown-ups who were upset over their kid/pet being freaked out over fireworks. There were strollers and leashes and diaper bags and goldfish crackers in baggies by the dozens. Parents yelling at their kids. Kids whining to their parents. And then there was me. A singleton. Coming and going as I pleased. No kids to worry about while crossing the street. No dog to keep calm during the friday night blitz. I rode a motorcycle, stayed out late, slept in, went to the beach, went to the outlets. FREEDOM.


So I can relate, William Wallace. Let me shout it with you. FREEEEDOOMMMM!!!



3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

why do I have to represent MATH at these functions? I have never in my life been to Clovis for the 4th so that is your childhood tradition, not mine.

you rode a motorcycle? and congrads on being so free. Nathan and I almost took a shotgun to my family's dog that night- now what a 4th that would have been!

tara said...

As a side note, has anyone noticed the similarities between the picture of W. Wallace and the previous picture of the Statue of Liberty? I'm sensing a theme.

rich said...

Man, I wish somehow we could record people's dreams and play them back. How awesome would that be? And hilarious!... and warped... and perverted... possibly... but most likely.