Monday, February 23, 2009

Slumdog Flumdog

Ah, the Oscars. An award show purportedly viewed by billions around the world (definitely not true so don't believe it); full of glitz and glamor, in which pawns like ourselves will drool over the designer gowns while the celebs hob-nob with one another and compare whose date is the hottest. And yet, somehow, I totally missed the whole thing. And I didn't even think about it until I checked the news this morning and saw who this year's lucky winners were. "Hm," said I, and continued on to more interesting things, like my ever-depleting 401K.

I always enjoyed watching the Academy Awards growing up, but the last few years have been so meh. Probably because the outfits aren't nearly ridiculous enough to keep me coming back. Even Tilda Swinton looked fairly normal, wonder of wonders. Although Phillip Seymour Hoffman looked pretty hashed. Presumably he wore that beanie because he knew he would never beat out Heath, so he figured, What the crap - I might as well just throw on this suit after I come back from robbing a bank.

But what I truly can't figure out is movie industry, because most movies are geared towards teenagers, and adults who act like teenagers, in order to make lots of money. Which is fine by me because money I love. But then you have the Academy, who once a year says, STOP! It's needs to be ART! And so they typically cast their votes for obscure movies that the average American has no desire to see, and probably hasn't even heard of. For example, The Dark Knight made $533m, while all the nominees for Best Picture earned $276m COMBINED. Maybe it's just me, but methinks the Academy is slightly out of touch with the public.

So tell me - what do you think? Do you cast your vote with the Academy, or with the masses? Or are you a true snob who hates both? (Don't be afraid to admit it. We love snobs here.)

5 comments:

rich said...

Of all awards for media products the Oscars, in my opinion, actually do a pretty good job. However, Slumdog just proves how slow this year was for good movies. Last year was awesome! No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood... classics! This year, not so much.

Slumdog, just left me feeling mixed. This is how I felt: Man poverty in India sucks... but look! They can win a million dollars and have a happy ending anyways! USA! USA!

i i eee said...

But of course Hollywood is completely out of touch with the public. At the same time, they make us that way. With the amount of crap that makes the mainstream, and the quality films (and music) that never break out everywhere, it's almost like they don't want the public to appreciate a good film. Because if it makes a lot of money and is extremely popular, then it can't be recognized as good. Unless of course it's directed by the Cohen brothers, and/or it has Daniel Day Lewis. But those are usually the only exceptions.

Amber Marie said...

can't comment. the only movie i saw was the dark knight.

sad, really.

leean robinson said...

Loved catching up on all your posts since Dec. It was a great distraction & made me laugh while I am trying to ignore 10 different workmen in my house finishing my "small" remodel project I started in July and talked my husband into and was suppose to be over by Christmas! Keep up the great writing.

Marge Bjork said...

What can I say, I'm a true snob and don't believe in either.