Friday, February 6, 2009

Confessions of a Smart Person with Good Taste

I know at times I might come as a bit . . . self-righteous.

A BIT.

After all, nothing lifts my spirits like stumbling upon a Bai Ling look-alike in the mall, reading about celebrity downfalls, and witnessing some major wackitude in the lives of those around me. Can you blame me for getting a jovial chuckle out of the masses? Of course not, because if you're reading this, you probably do too.

But there does come a time though when the chortling stops, I get bored, annoyed, and then all I can do is roll my eyes whilst thinking, "You win, Ineptitude! You WIN!" That describes my thoughts on this:



No, I'm not talking about Isla Fisher. I like her fine - and I actually quite love this color palette. And lest you forget, she made a baby with this man:




So that says something. What I AM talking about is the books - the Shopaholic series by Sophia Kinsella.

Okay okay, the jig is up: I've read them, and not only that, I kind of liked them. These books are a great poolside read when you've got nothing to do all day but lay out and drink lemonade and have bronzed muscular men fan you with palm fronds. The kinds of days I have all the time. If you are thinking about reading them, ask yourself the following:

- Do I think Twilight is the greatest book ever written?

- Do I fantasize about super-rich, powerful, smart, sexy businessmen falling madly in love with me, regardless of the fact that I am NOT a Victoria Secret Angel and I often eat my feelings?

- Do I only put InStyle and Elle on my digital bookshelf on GoodReads?

- Do I like to lie?


If you answered YES! to any of the above questions, then this is the book for you! If your taste runs marginally more high brow, may I suggest picking it up on one of those off days when you're out of Diet Coke, your hair is limp, and all you want is some good, over-the-top, over-indulgent euro-fantasy.

You'd better believe I am going to see the movie when it comes out though, because I love me some high fashion B films. But one wonders at the timing of this release. Rebecca Bloomwood shopping her way into fiscal annihilation - sounds vaguely like something I've heard in the news recently.

Ms. Kinsella, why is it your character NEVER learns from her mistakes and at least successfully attempts just ONCE at living within her means? Also, do you realize that NEVER being honest with one's family/fiancee/financial institution will only lead to tears? ALWAYS?

I know I've learned an important lesson from this: use more TJ Maxx, less Barneys and credit card.

3 comments:

Carina said...

I love the Shopaholic books, they're funny and cute. I can't wait for the movie.

Amber Marie said...

it's amazing to me the types of books you have read. i started to read twilight after almost every woman i know had read them and was "i love". did you read any of them? i don't get it.

and you have to love tj maxx! i've never been in a barneys but i read about it all the time...maybe one day when i come visit you :)

Amanda said...

You're hilarious and I am actually quite excited for this movie (as silly as it may be). I liked the book even though I was lacking being fanned by bronzed muscular men - I'm sure it would have made the book that much more...realistic. :) Apparently I need to hang out with you more often. BTW we're going to be in Camarillo this weekend and I want to see you.