Thursday, February 19, 2009

My tribute to what once was The Golden State

This is the view from the beach house porch this weekend, as I sipped Strawberry Crush and pretended like Will wasn't peeing on the sand bank below me. A storm had recently blown out so there were massive waves and surfers galore (towel changing!), so I sat on the balcony and mused about how great it would be to have binocular vision so I could spot some whales (and towel changers).

I love this state, with it's Mediterranean weather, lip-smackingly perfect produce, beautiful people and ridiculous celebrities. Almost everyday I see lots of sunshine, a surfboard strapped to an SUV, and 15 Mexicans packed into a Toyota Tacoma. And I'm pretty sure I spotted George Clooney the other day when I drove past his house for the 22nd time. It's safe to say that I have a love affair with this corner of the earth. Or at least, had.

Here on NRL we try to steer clear of all things political and remotely serious, because really - that is so Debby Downer. But I need to announce something I never thought I'd say:

I AM BOYCOTTING CALIFORNIA.

That's right, I said it. I have officially stopped looking for jobs here - I am taking my business elsewhere to stick it to you, "Golden State", who makes lovely promises, takes most of my money, and then runs away without fulfilling any of said promises and leaving me with a broken heart and an I-owe-you instead of a refund. As a matter of principle I can no longer support this pit of corruption and ineptitude. I have asked myself, WWARD (What Would Ayn Rand Do)? Answer: Leave.*

California, it not me, it's YOU.


Amber, please find me a job in your area. No, I'm not kidding. It is time.

*This is of course conditional on me finding a job elsewhere, and assuming I don't get offered some supremely delightful job here afterall.

3 comments:

Amber Marie said...

YEAH!!!! You have finally turned towards the light. My darling you will LOVE the grand state of TEXAS. You think towel changing is great in california... We have a beach here with surfers and you know what they say about Texas- everything here is bigger!

(sorry if any young children are reading, i couldn't resist)

The Smith Family said...

Tee-hee Amber. I never thought I'd hear such wonderful support of that lovely state!:) Yep, I think TX is the place we're going to try out so you need to head that-a-way Tara so we can have a few of us family members in the same state (I'm pretty sure if I go there my parents will follow.). Although, Adam is looking at some interesting places for his fellowship (he needs to turn in apps in Aug.)...like Seattle, Boston, NYC....crazy talk the lot of if. I'm hoping he'll look at Baylor in Dallas a bit more. I need some warmth and sunshine!!:)

Marge Bjork said...

I'm telling you: North Dakota

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/us/06dakota.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink