Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What Not To Wear

Growing up I was never the cutest or classiest girl on the block. I didn’t put much thought into how unflattering my clothes were, how I really needed to style my hair or that glitter on my eyes was a bad idea.



I will admit that there were even times I walked the grounds of campus, and had Stacey or Clinton seen me they would have had an aneurysm right on the spot. I flatter myself that I have become classier with age. I always brush my teeth, I put on make-up, I do my hair. I even have variety. Some days eyeliner, or eyeshadow, or BOTH. Sometimes hair down and straight, or curly, or hawked up, or up with a French braid going along the side. I currently have my eye on a coral lipstick at Chanel. AND I do a decent job at coordinating my clothes, and I sometimes even wear heels to work! I know! Feel free to applaud me.

But today as I was walking out of the bookstore I saw him. The pajama kid. He is hard to forget because 1) he has REALLY curly blonde poofy hair, and 2) he always wears his pajamas. I have unpleasant memories of him from one of my history classes last semester. He would sit in the aisle, next to my chair, despite the fact that there were seats open, and he would make comments ALL THE TIME. And what’s worse, half the time whatever would come out of his mouth would be 100% wrong. It bothered me to no end. I almost said something to him a time or two, but then I thought that he might be mentally retarded and then I would feel like a jerk.


I unabashedly stared at him today as he walked by. I couldn’t get over his green cowboy pj bottoms, which were high-waters of course, and Nike basketball shoes. This was a change from the typical flannel bottoms and sandals of last semester. I thought to myself why it would be so hard for him to put on a pair of jeans. I couldn’t think of one good reason. And wouldn’t his mother be ashamed if she knew how her son was presenting himself in public? I wish that I knew where he lived so that I could donate a decent pair of pants. Then again, he is probably married so maybe it’s me that has the problem.

3 comments:

Alyssa & Bruce said...

I agree, I think you do have a stylish flare! Haha, I use to war pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt to high school everyday. I know it's different now and that's why I have no problem admitting to it. I think you should say something. Yeah, definitely say something! Somewhat off topic... Do you want to start posting our dreams and analyzing them?

tara said...

Thank you for asking - and yes I would love to start posting your dreams and analyzing them. I am a GREAT analyzer. In fact, I think it is what i will do as a career: Professional Analyst. Of what? Who cares.

Laquina said...

I remember coming to campus while I was still in high school and remarking to my mother how disgusted I was by people wearing pajamas and or sweats to school and sleeping on the floor in hallways. The very next year there I was in sweats sleeping on the floor - disgraceful.

But I too have grown up and now take great pride the wardrobe that keeps me lookin fly everyday. And you you have made leaps and bounds and have begun to eclipse me (only on some days) in the style dept.