Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Theatre critique from one who knows


For a while now I've felt as though I wasn't quite Mormon enough. Or rather, Mormony enough. I don't know how that's possible because I always try really hard. I CTR and RWH all over the place, but still I was lacking. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Was my cyniscm and sarcasm blocking divine flow, I wondered? Is it because my mind wanders at institute? Or that I refuse to go to scavenger hunt FHE's? There was a major cheese factor missing and I felt it acutely. Well, I am pleased to announce that I have solved the puzzle: I had not seen Wicked. Until now!


Gasp! I know.


It has taken me THIS long to FINALLY see what I'd always heard as the GREATEST PRODUCTION EVER!!!


That being said, let me now tell you what I thought...


It was okay.


Alright, it was more than okay. It was good. The singing: impressive, for the most part. The costumes: Fine. The sets: Pretty cool. The story: Rather creative. On the whole: good.


Good. Not earth-shatteringly amazing. Not really moving. Not intellectually stimulating. The two main girls did have beautiful voices. And I appreciated the story of their friendship. But did it live up to the hype that I have been hearing for the past couple years? Nope. It ain't no open-air theatre production of HMS Penafore, that's for sure.


And what sorts of things are they trying to teach the youth of America? What 's with all the feel-good, inner-beauty messages? I'm sorry - if you are green you deserve to be an outcast.


The good news is that I can FINALLY be Mormony like other kids my age, and clap along with Wicked sing-alongs in the car, and talent shows where everyone under-performs the same two Wicked songs. And spell theater theatre.


At last, I am part of the crowd.


2 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

THIS is why we are friends. I was sort of "eh"-ish about it too. But I've never been one to fit right in.

I had a lot of thoughts about this play that no one else had thought of. Like, how the heck is that green witch girl the hero or even good? because she's not.

Amber Marie said...

congrads on becoming more mormony. i didn't know that was a requirement, good to know. geez, to think I would lose exaltation because i missed some play!

and i agree that if you are green you are an outcast. we must be related or something.