Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Not walking in Memphis

I am trapped in Memphis. Very much against my will, so thank you Mother Nature for jack squat. I really thought I would make it to Indianapolis without a hitch, but no. I had to sit on the tarmac and wait out a thunderstorm as my last-chance plane to Indy rolled out.

Of course this would happen, because the moment I walked into the Memphis airport the only thing I wanted to do was race to my connecting gate and never look back. The ceilings are much too low, the lighting is dim and fluorescent, and everything smells like smoke despite the multitude of announcements over the intercom decrying smoking in the terminal.

The story of the airline workers (and getting lost in the bowels of this hotel) is such a nightmare that I just don't have the heart to recount it. Suffice it to say that I am in a Not-Such-a-Holiday Inn and I fly out at 6am to ATLANTA only to connect to a flight to Indy. All the while I am fearing for my life. I mean really - holy GHETTO.

All I really have to say now is that I hope to never set foot in this place again.

4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Mmmm sorry for the sadness. I've been stuck on many a tarmacs and in numerous airports. Yuck! I totally feel for you.

Marge Bjork said...

holiday of bowel movements?

charles said...

Making the most of Memphis depends on where you go, just like LA. And the airport is on the list of things that sucks! And you have to have a purpose for you visit to Memphis. its not a place yo can just show up and immediately have the most amazing time. I grew up there and let me tell you, its everything they say! Good and Bad. We are the murder capital of the south, we do have the best BBQ in the country, and Blues wouldn't be the same without us.
Sorry for your bad experiance, but know you can see why I call it Memphrica.
Have a safe rest of your trip.

rich said...

I bet you feel bad for dogging Memphis after Charles left that comment.