Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mile High City

Any desire to post recently has been sucked out of me by traveling. And I'm not saying that in the way that celebrities --cough, Jessica Biel/Alba/Cameron Diaz, cough -- complain about how hard it is to be so beautiful and thin and how they give their designer cast-offs to children because they're the only ones who can fit in them, and how it has taken 6 WHOLE WEEKS to lose their baby weight from working out 10 hours a day and eating really fulfilling celery and cotton balls. I mean it in the way that I love seeing different places in this great nation but airplanes make me really nauseated and I have almost vomitted on the laps of multiple people squashed next to me who are always men who INSIST upon spreading their legs out AS FAR AS POSSIBLE leaving me cramped in the fetal position for hours on end.

So anyway. Denver. I liked Denver, but was slightly confused by the blend of cowboys and hippies. Here is what you really need to know about my stay in Denver:
1.) I didn't like the kids and lots of them, inexplicably, had anger issues. Weird.
2.) I almost got sucked into a tornado. For real - I felt like I was living in Twister, and I kept waiting for Bill Paxton to come bounding up and shout for me to take cover with a typical overly-dramatic look on his face.

Photo by Eric Nguyen

I've heard multiple times in my life that California is a scary place to live because of earthquakes - but dude, there is like maybe one a year that you can really feel, which more than likely does nothing more than make you consider whether you want to walk all the way to a door jamb, and by the time you have decided no, it's over. If anything, be afraid of the the fires.

But I freaking saw a FUNNEL FROM SATAN come out of the sky that destroys things. Trees and houses and small animals and probably children - GONE. How is that NOT scarier? That siren was enough to make me want to piddle my pants.

The takeaway: tornadoes suck. Pun intended. And I fully intend on chasing one the next time I am around one, which will be never.

3 comments:

Rachie said...

The more I read your blog the more I'm convinced that we would be best friends were we to meet in real life. I also dislike children in large amounts (or small amounts, depending on the behavior of the child[ren]) and flying for extended periods of time, and I, also, was almost sucked into a tornado (the great Salt Lake City tornado of 1998 [or was it 1999?]).

Thanks for keeping us up to speed with your travel adventures!

PS I get tired of men on the plane who spread their legs way out, too. COME ON!

Marge Bjork said...

in the summer when I was growing up, and the siren would go off during family dinner we'd all just pick up our plates and move downstairs to the basement and continue eating there without blinking an eye. Tornadoes are so common, what would we be afraid for?

Amber Marie said...

I agree, they are one of the scariest. unless you saw that made-for-TV movie with the Growing Pains mom. I think it was called "The Big One". That will make you piddle your pants and want to move as far away from California as possible! Of course I was like 10 when I saw it so ...I could be blowing the whole scariness aspect out of proportion.