Saturday, September 5, 2009

It's always something at the Seven-Eleven

It has been SO HOT here the last few days, and in these parts we don't believe in air conditioning. Mostly because there is only a week or so where the temps reach above 80. So when I got back from DC on Thursday and walked into my stuffy house, I had one unquenchable desire: BIG GULP.

Off I went to get me a 32 oz. at the closest Seven-Eleven, and it was the happening place, let me tell you. Diet Coke in hand, I waited in line to pay, and as I stood there this middle-aged man in a business suit walks in. NOT good looking. But my attention was diverted, so I looked his way. And he flashes me this big smile, and raises his eyes brows at me. I looked around to see if he was looking at anybody else, but no, apparently not. Because as I was in my car backing out, he walked out and gave me the same look. Raised eye brows and all.

Now, let me clarify - this WAS NOT a leer. Not a construction site stare-down. Not even in the same category as a trapped-at-the-stop-light check out. It was like there was something about me he found . . . funny. Okay, I'm not always the world's best dresser on a big gulp run, but funny? My hair was in a pony tail, I was in jeans and a tee, and I didn't have chocolate or smeared lipstick on my face. I'm also fairly certain that I didn't know him.

Maybe this is a regular occurrence, but I'm too oblivious to notice. I was just so confused by the whole thing. At any rate, if ever I see him on the next inevitable BG run, I'm going to ask him what it is about my person that he finds humorous. And then, of course, I'll be so weirded-out by the exchange that it will have to end up on the blog.

2 comments:

Amber Marie said...

you probably knew him from high school. it's happened to me.

also, i thought there was going to be a good shaver lake story? c'mon!

Laquina said...

Maybe it was a racial stare