Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Complaint #163: Pinterest


Last night I was over at my friend Miriam’s house, a happy place I regularly frequent since my Lieutenant has been in Afghanistan for 7 months and I get bored some evenings. We were discussing the world of Pinterest and all the obnoxious fads that currently abound which we grudgingly like but can’t, as snobs, jump on the wagon for. “Modern vintage” typewriters in wedding pictures, the chevron print, all things yellow and gray. The list is long and I don’t want this post to be – but I came across another one today. This quote:


Firstly, bad advice. Secondly, I’m an anglophile and therefore I should like this so I feel confused. Thirdly, I just hate this fad where everything is a quote you frame. Apparently just because a phrase is written in a cute font in bright colors it merits a place hanging over a fireplace next to a picture of Jesus.  It reminds me of a line from the movie ‘Easy A’: “I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds.”  AND FOURTHLY, I was studying in London when the 2005 bombings happened and I talked to Brits who actually said this exact same thing, so I get that particular quote. But what is with the American preoccupation in decorating and designing all kinds of crap with things like this:



Okay so that dresser is kind of awesome, and The Union Jack is a pretty cool flag, but I feel like I should be wearing a pirate hat and selling East India Company opium to the unsuspecting Chinese when I see this.
We live in America and do you know how hard it is to find stuff with your basic American flag on it? Too hard, that’s how.  So far I’ve got my WW2 propaganda up and framed, but I’ve scoured the internets for some olde colonial décor to embellish my gun case with and still have nothing. No thanks to you Pinterest or Etsy. Though I could find handmade jewelry and vintage dresses and chevron throw pillows all the live long day.

On a more positive note - I shall be spending Valentines night with a diet coke in one hand and a super dark & fatty bar of chocolate in the other. Cheers.

6 comments:

Amber Marie said...

oh my gosh corey needs to come home now.

i'm fully aware of all the fad decor and agree with you, but i will admit i have had a "keep calm" poster in my closet for about 2 years. and when i hang it somewhere in my house i will defend it because being with kids all day i rely on that slogan and like the history behind it! :)

wish i could join you for that coke and chocolate bar- though mine would have to be a tub of ice cream!

Melissa said...

So glad to hear from you, Tara. I was starting to wonder what lovely things you've been up too. I've been missing your commentary on life.

Check out my blog later and you'll see what we did tonight to dishonor V-Day tonight. It was the best. Although, the candy bar sounds pretty dang good.

Lady Chan said...

I'm reminded all over again why I wish you would post MORE OFTEN!!!!

I can't stop laughing in my head. I don't laugh excessively in public. It's weird.

Gail Peck said...

Just came across this randomly and love your take on things.

B said...

FYI this is the artist that created the cute font in bright colors.

http://lovelife.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Rachel Barlow said...

Tara! I just love you so much! Can you please blog more?! I miss you!