Monday, August 9, 2010

Taradise vs. The Hair

Wasn't it just yesterday I was writing hate mail to August? Guess not because this month is just RACING past, which got me to thinking about how much I was supposed to accomplish this summer. I haven't even had an affair with a surfer and/or cowboy yet, which is a well known staple of summertime.
Shameful.

So. For about ten years now I have toyed with the idea of cutting my hair. By which I mean CUT, not trim. I'm not totally foul ya'll - I trim my hair a couple times a year. But it's always been decently long and rather blah. Laquina almost talked me into a Big Cut a few years back, but then I remembered in a rare fit of sanity that round Charlie Brown faces like mine just DO NOT mix with above-the-shoulder bobs.

And then, yesterday and apparently 10 years behind everyone else, I beheld The Latest Haircut To Make Tabloid News:



Emma Watson, better known as Hermoine Granger of the Harry Potter phenomenon. Whom, incidentally, I love. The hair though? Undecided.

Look - Granger is gorgeous and very feminine and makes surprisingly good fashion choices given her age and popularity. But this to me says Prepubescent Choir Boy With Mascara. And HELLO many awkward-length phases while growing out. With any luck she'll attempt that incredible dutch boy bowl-cut a la Nick Carter circa 1990. That would be awesome.

Weirdly though, I can't seem to stop looking at her hair. I think the more I look at it the more I think she pulls it off quite adorably. But is this representative of some unknown fit of Teenage Rebellion that Hermoine experiences in the last Harry Potter films? Because aren't they still filming? If so, will she sport a tasteful wig? I don't think I can take a wig-toting Hermoine Granger seriously. OR will she keep the chop in the movies, thereby ensuing a new sub-plot involving Ron's confusion about his own hair-length which makes him hyper-sensitive about his Masculinity, causing Harry added personal-life angst on top of his professional-life Horcrux Slaying and perhaps a spat with Ginny over the values of short/long hair which in turn cause her to chop off her red locks in a fit of defiance and start a new Hogwarts Club with Hermoine along the lines of the GWAB (Girls Who Are Boys) gang from the fantastic book Slob.
One can only hope.

So. While mourning my lack of action from surfers and cowboys I've been pondering on the pros and cons of A Major Haircut. Obviously not of the pixie cut variety, as I would resemble a slightly tanned bowling ball.

This, truth be told, is all rather pointless because when it comes down to it I'm just too lazy. Still. My split ends reach the small of my back and I know Stacy & Clinton would send me to the salon STAT to fix this hot mess of blondish straggle. Too bad neither they nor Laquina are here to give me a hardy shove in the right direction.

Verdict: The jury is out.

4 comments:

Amber Marie said...

Hmm yeah I'm not sure what you should do. i've always loved your long, blonde locks. they are kind of your trademark in my eyes. but sometimes trademarks need updates, ya know? maybe you should just add some low-lights...that is a big change without chopping.

there is a woman in my ward who has that pixie haircut. i LOVE it. i want to cut my hair like that so bad and just leave it. can you imagine the amount of time you'd be adding to your life with a haircut like that???? someday. ryan said absolutely no, and he usually doesn't have an opinion about those things!

Kristina said...

I haven't decided if it's extremely creepy to post on your blog or not. I think you're funny so I keep you in my reader.
Having gone from waist-long hair to bob to pixie to whatever I'm doing now, here's what I know from my experience:

Girls rarely look as feminine or girly-pretty with pixie cuts as they do with long hair but I think they look more adorable as long as they are somewhat thin and/or wear feminine clothes. Not-skinny girls like me don't pull it off so well but I think on me it got cuter once it grew out a little. I have a round face so I kept it longer around my temples and ears.

Also, find somebody to cut it who will make it feminine. There is a fine but definite line between Winona Ryder and Jamie Lee Curtis.

At the end of it all, it's just hair. It will grow back and a good stylist can give you haircuts that look great as they are growing out. I don't regret it and actually have liked my hair in all stages.

Sometimes I can't help but tell people what to do on their own blogs. I'm sorry, or you're welcome, whichever is appropriate.

Laquina said...

No, no, no on the Pixie cut obviously. Cowboys and/or surfers do NOT like them - and neither do I most of the time. Basically you have to have crazy little boy bone structure and you my friend are all woman.

But I do support SOMETHING new because seriously, you are still so Tara I met 5 years ago. Cute then, cute now but a bit boring.

Can we talk about bangs again? Not "long bangs", there is no such thing in my opinion.

Richard has suggested a bump-it. Which might be totally brilliant because we really haven't approached the "big hair" avenue that you will need for your move to Texas.

Yee-haw.

Shakirra said...

Can I just say that I own a "bump it" and I love it... but only for updo's (at least on me). I guess I just haven't learned how to use it or tease it properly yet!
I have always contemplated the pixie cut myself. I never got quite that short, but I did find the "duck butt" (as Corinne so lovingly referred to it) quite cute. I just get tired of one style for too long. I've been trying to grow my hair out to your lenght for a few years now, at Ben's request, but sadly was too impatient with the in-between stages and would cut it again!
I agree with Kristina for the most part. It's just hair and it WILL grow back. You just have to be comfortable with the first length you choose, because it will be the hardest to accept!
Love you girl! Can't wait to hear about your next adventure... Hope it is with a surfer or cowboy!