Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bring the Heat

Well folks, it's that time again: Summer is officially here. The birds are singing, the gas prices soaring, and the sun is scorching our skin off and giving us cancer. Looks like it's time for Summer Goals!


I've been putting a lot of thought into what I want to achieve. What should I be aiming for? What kind of person do I want to be? What will make me lots of money and give me lots of power? And I've decided to work on two things that I think might get me on The Path To Responsibility, so to speak.



1. Become a somewhat decent Scrabble player. I admit it - I've never excelled at card and board games, which is how I came to be a great cheater. But Scrabble I can't really cheat at, and when I try I usually get called out and therefore lose which kind of defeats the purpose of cheating since I'm only in it to destroy my competition. It still remains a mystery as to why I struggle with Scrabble, since I have such stunning vocabulary and I regularly create anagrams in my mind while people drone on to me about boring things.




2. Embark on at least one Quest per season. That's right - a Quest. Any kind will do, though I'm thinking something akin to Frodo and The Ring sounds reasonable. Up first: locating a great rope swing. Obviously over water. And preferably within an hour of my home. I haven't had a good swing and/or plunging-into-unknown-depths in years. It's time, you know?



I'm aware that in the eyes of some my Summer Goals aren't going to "Help my future" or "Get me out of my parents' house", though they sounds curiously able to increase my Nerd Score. I, however, have confidence that Scrabble and rope swings will not only destroy my June Slump, it will transcend it.

2 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

Rope swings are a very important and necessary part of life. Oh yes.

leean robinson said...

I still love reading your blog. Just got back from Laguna Beach and we missed having you, Amber and Heather! We talked about your blog there and how funny it is. Wish you could have come. Nathan didn't come either. No great excuse except he just felt like you would have been a fish out of water this time. Maybe we can all get together at Jacob's homecoming. Amber will be here for that.