Thursday, May 8, 2008

Go ahead and shove your "workaholic" title

I was sitting at my desk yesterday, musing about how awesome it would be if I looked like Heidi Klum, when my friend Sarah comes waltzing in with a tan from her Florida vacation. Envious, naturally, I ask her:


Me: So…? Any sexy Cubans?


Sarah: Um..no. It was a good break though.


Me: Good? That’s it? Come on! You got to party while I sat in my office all day in front of a computer screen with my brain cells dying one by one from boredom.


Sarah: Ya, well. It’s just that after the first two days I got really tired of it.


Me: How is that possible? Are there not pools? And beaches? And shops? And lemonade? And hello – NAPS.


Sarah: No it was really fun, but I tend to go crazy when I’m not busy.



It took me a minute to process that in my mind. And then I realized something. I am GREAT at being lazy. Yes, I do like going to work and I liked going to school. Whatever. But when I get home it is miraculous if you can drag me out again. Just ask Lisha.


For a minute I felt like I should feel guilty. But the guilt never came. In fact, a new sense of pride began to glow within me. I am so good at loafing. Unlike my cousins who vaca’ for a month in Coranado, where they are constantly working-out, walking into town, going on a bike ride, cooking, cleaning, grooming, flirting – I am perfectly content to just lay there by the pool/ocean with a book & iPod, with occasional bouts of getting up for food. Unless the pool boy wants to serve it to me.


I believe that this makes me a great vacation friend. If you ever want to not feel guilty for doing nothing on a beach in the Caribbean all day, call me. Or you want to watch surfers towel change without feeling like a total perv, I’m there. Hey, what are friends for? I’m also a great travel buddy, just in case you were considering it.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Tell me about it. I just got back from vacation and I'm still doing nothing

Miriam Herm said...

here's to laziness! i, too, excel in it. mostly, it's good. sometimes, it's a little annoying. it should not be that hard for to get up and do something.

Amber Marie said...

yes, a toast to laziness. maybe one day we can all take a lazy vacation together. i would take you somewhere with me now, however, we have zero nero's at the moment.

i guess the antique shopping is scratched as I never got a response from you! c'mon you can tell all the aunts how to look like they are 20 again :) My mom said that was a good time hehe

i i eee said...

I don't know you, but I share your talent for loafing!